Your browser does not support JavaScript!

background image background image background image
logo Milos

Agios Ioannis Siderianos

  It is located on the southwestern edge of the island and there is access only through a dirt road. It is an impressive complex –although uninhabited. Around the katholikon there are 48 cells. The initial building dates back to the 15th century (even though there have been many retrofits). It was a dependency of the monastery of Patmos. How did it take its unusual name? The local legend has it that once, while in a festival, pirates came and mingled with the celebrators. When the latter realized who the former were, they rushed into the church. As the civilians were enclosed within the katholikon, they prayed to Agios Ioannis in order to be saved and he “ironed” the door (that is why the name “Siderianos” {Iron}), thus the pirates did not manage to enter.
map add mapadd

Agia Triada (Holy Trinity)

  The church of Agia Triada in Adamantas is of great historical value, only 50m away from the port. It was also called Panagia Theofani. Some scholars believe that it is one of the oldest churches, built perhaps even before the iconomachy. It was destroyed and rebuilt after 1207 and it was a katholikon of a Catholic monastery. Later it became an Orthodox monastery and it was called Panagia Theofani up to 1824, when it was bought by Cretans who adorned the church with temples and icons from the abandoned churches of Zefyria. It is built in the rare type of three-aisled vaulted church without tiles, with pointed arches in the centre of the middle aisle. Apart from Agia Triada, the two other aisles are in honour of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Athanasios. An Ecclesiastical Museum is housed in the church.   Info   In Adamantas there are also the churches of Kimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Virgin Mary -or Agios Charalambos), a three-aisled vaulted church with a dome and a beautiful mosaic of pebbles by Ioannis Kavrourakis in its patio, and Agios Nikolaos, a Catholic church built in 1827.    

Panagia Portiani

  Panagia Portiani of Zefyria is located at the settlement’s square. It is a big and impressive church with stone domes. On the south wall, internally, relics of frescoes are preserved. The date of its construction is not known, but it was certainly before 1645. The church is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary. On the north wall, a door leads to the smaller church of Agios Charalambos which is older than Portiani. A characteristic of the churches is that materials of volcanic origin have been used and in particular the “sugar-rock” (the local name for perlite) of Milos.

Panagia tou Kipou

  One of the most important country churches in Milos, whose initial phase dates back to the early-Christian period, is located in Kipos location, west of Provatas (there is a sign). The fully-white chapel has a forecourt which offers a great view to the entire south Milos. Important traces of the island’s past are kept in its interior. At the bottom of the western wall you will see the whole side of a Roman sarcophagus, which has the ancient decoration (the lesbian wavelet) at the top, while it has been scrapped underneath in order for Christian symbols of crucifixes and spirals to be engraved. You will see a rare early-Christian baptistery in the sanctuary. It is cruciform with stairs and ancient structural materials with traces of frescoes.

Panagia ton Rodon

  It is located in the northern part of Korfiatissa. It is also called Rozaria and it is a small Catholic church built in 1823. Its lintel is decorated with a coat of arms of Louis XVI.

Christos of Zefyria

It is said to have been the oldest church in Milos. Nowadays, even though it is ruined standing without a roof, it remains impressive. It is built of well-chipped fragments of perlite perfectly hinged. Icons, iconostases and relics were removed from the church after the abandonment of Zefyria and it was broken apart in order for other churches to be built with the stones of that church. According to the tradition, some impious man put a dynamite to demolish the church and take the stones, but he only shattered the dome of the roof. His mules refused to go near the place and carry the giant stones, which you will see today inside the church.    

Panagia Korfiatissa

It is worth enjoying the sunset from the forecourt of this church which is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary (Gennesion tis Theotokou) and it was built in 1810. Its court is paved with marble tombstones of the old town. It includes relics from old churches of Milos and it has a remarkable gilded iconostasis. An epitaph of 1500 AD from Izmir and the icon of Agios Ioannis Theologos Siderenios from the homonymous monastery are kept in the church.

Panagia Thalassitra

Church of exquisite architecture, at the top of Plaka’s castle. Thalassitra, dedicated to the Presentation of Christ, was a parish church before the castle was abandoned and it has a wonderful stone bell-tower and folk stone reliefs. The doorframe has a similar decoration and the relief date of 1669 (it is probably a part of another building of the Castle). It is one of the oldest churches in Milos (it is mentioned in documents of 1738). The interior has a beautiful dome with semi-domes of chipped stone.   Ιnfo Information at the Ecclesiastical Museum Tel.: +30 22870 23956
January  2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
<< >>
My Aegean
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund