Your browser does not support JavaScript!

background image background image background image
logo Tinos

The Virgin of Tinos

In the town of Tinos there is one of the largest pilgrimage sites all over Greece and the Orthodox world in Greece, with immense fame. The building complex of Evangelistria is built around the point where, in January of the year 1823, the miraculous icon of the Virgin Megalochari was found, after the vision of the 70 year-old nun Pelagia from the monastery of Kechrovouni. The first procession with the icon of the Virgin through the alleyways of the town took place on February 2.
map add mapadd

The Monastery of Kechrovouni

This is considered one of the largest and most beautiful monasteries of Greece. Its founding, according to tradition, dates back to the 10th-11th century. It is also called Kyria ton Angelon (Our Lady of the Angels) and it is the most ancient and unique active monastery of Tinos. It combines the characteristics of island architecture, as well as those of a Venetian fortified settlement. In the monastery there are seven churches, the main church of which is devoted to the Assumption of the Virgin and has a sculpted wood iconostasis and noteworthy mural paintings. By exploring through the narrow alleyways, you will visit the cell of Saint Pelagia, where she saw the vision that led to the discovery of the icon of the Annunciation. The great festival of the monastery takes place on July 23rd.        
map add mapadd

The Catholic Monasteries

The first Catholic monastery on the island began its operations during the Venetian rule, in the year 1660, it belonged to the Jesuits, and it was located in the town around the castle. After its destruction by the Turks, the monks built a new one in Xombourgo, which was also abandoned in the middle of the 19th century, when they settled in the monastery of Loutra. The second Catholic monastery belonged to the Franciscan monks, founded in the year 1700, in the middle of a plateau 3 km outside the walls of the castle. After seventy years, they founded the monastery of Saint Anthony of Padua in Tinos town, which, however, was burnt later. The third monastery was the one built in Loutra in order to house nuns from the Ursuline order.      

Agia Triada of Gyrla

This monastery was founded in the 11th century and was renovated by Grigorios, a monk from Mount Athos, in the year 1744. During Turkish rule, monks from Mount Athos settled here and established a school and a seminary.
map add mapadd
This monastery is located in the area of Panormos. According to tradition, it was founded around 1732 by the monk Kallinikos (however, the spring of the monastery has an even older date).
map add mapadd


The nunnery was built in the year 1783. The church is decorated with an iconostasis made of sculpted wood and next to it the residences of the nuns, as well as auxiliary areas have been built. The monastery was founded by the nun Melanthia, who came from a rich family from Crete. It celebrates its festival on September 1.      
map add mapadd

Panagia Vrysiotissa

According to one version, the church's name comes from the old spring that exists outside the church according to another version it is a distortion of the word “evresi”(finding), because the church was built after an icon of the Virgin and Child was found. It celebrates on August 15, on which a liturgy takes place all night long.    
map add mapadd
March  2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
<< >>
My Aegean
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund