The paces in the island’s capital are calm. Its atmosphere is bathed in the light blue color of the sea and the sky; it is the most suitable atmosphere for thoughtful musings. Chora is built amphitheatrically, at an altitude of 260 m, and its architecture constitutes a perfect sample of Aegean residential complex. It consists of cascading, ground floor or two-storey stone residences perched on slopes with steep gradients, white-washed yards overlooking the pelago and winding pebbled streets of the local pale plate which often pass under house arches.
The embedded cylindrical buildings in the residencies are the stone ovens where the family bread and meat are cooked. Quite a few churches are distinguished scattered inside the urban planning fabric, most of which are single-roomed and vaulted. Agios Nikolaos is the most important one, with the oldest icon in the iconostasis dating back to 1612. Kimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Virgin Mary) has a notable iconostasis as well, with icons dating back to 1866. In the central pedestrian street of Chora there are little taverns, a bakery and mini-markets. There are guesthouses and rooms to let in the southern part of Chora and in Plagia, overlooking the port.
The relics of a castle at the peak of Chora are not distinct. It experienced glorious days in the early 15th century under the rule of Goulielmos of Krispi when there was still the Venetian Duchy of Naxos. Its place is now taken by the church of Agios Georgios with icons of the Cretan school in its iconostasis. See the presentation of Agios Georgios on the horse dating back to 1638.
It is worth visiting the two big windmills of Chora. Built on opposite slopes in the 19th century, they marked the older borderlines of the settlement.