Palaiopoli was the capital of the island for 12 centuries (from the 6th century BC until the 6th century AD). This settlement started to develop when the residents of Zagora and Ypsili decided to leave rural life behind and form larger communities in the middle of the 8th century BC. The city was discovered in the 19th century by researchers and the first excavation was carried out by the well-known urban planner Kleanthis. In 1832, the Hermes of Andros was discovered along with a statue of a woman in the style of the “Cretan snake goddess”. Both of them are on display in the Archaeological Museum of Chora since 1981. A second excavation was conducted in 1956 by archaeologist Nikolaos Kontoleon. It brought to light the agora of the ancient city and a large building with a series of votive statue pedestals along its façade. Excavation findings are on display at the Archaeological Collection of Palaiopoli.