The historical monastery of Panagia Tourliani is surrounded by an impressive wall and it is located in Ano Mera. Its spectacular architecture makes it stand out. It was named after the area of Tourlos, where, according to the legend, the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary was found floating on the sea. The monastery was founded in 1542 by two monks from Panagia Ekatontapyliani of Paros and it was dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The monastery was built at the location of an older church dedicated to the Presentation of Mary. Its main church with the marble façade was built in 1670 and it was renovated from 1757 to 1767. The bell tower is decorated with beautiful marble reliefs that date back to 1806. Many valuable artifacts are kept in the monastery. Info Every year, on the first Sunday of Lent, there is a procession of the honored icon that ends up at the church of Agia Kyriaki in Chora. The icon remains there until Lazarus Saturday, when it is returned to the monastery. (For further information please call: +30 22890 71249).