Paros Christos sto dasos (Christ in the woods)

Female coenobitic monastery of the 17th century which is also called monastery of Agios Arsenios, in honour of whom a second, big church on the hill across the monastery was built. The building complex constituted a “premise” of Nikolaos Mavrogenis’s family up to 1793, when his wife and children dedicated it to the Municipal church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani, whose commissioners decided to found a coenobitic monastery in 1805. It is located at Psychopiana, 6km southwestern of Parikia, near the valley of the butterflies. Info Paros had 35 monasteries during the Turkish occupation, many of which with fortress architecture.

Back to Paros