It is also called Mesa Gonia. It is built on the northern foothills of the mountain of Profitis Ilias and is characterised by wonderful house complexes. It was named after the church of Panagia Episkopi that is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin. It is considered as the most important Byzantine monument of Santorini and it is likely to have been founded by the Emperor of Byzantium Alexio A’ Komnino (1081-1118) as a monastery’s main temple. The village has always been famous for its wine production due to the large number of old wineries it hosts. Today, there are two wineries open to visitors.