Chora of Serifos is among the most impressive ones in the Aegean, built amphitheatrically on the slopes of the rock that rises above Livadi. It is characterized by the plasticity of the shapes formed by the complexes of its houses. The town-castle was built during the Venetian ruling and it constitutes a typical sample of fortified settlement in the Aegean. Due to the lack of space and the granite subterrain, the buildings were attached very close to each other and the structuring was unregulated, completely exploiting the steep and rocky terrain. After the Revolution of 1821 the houses extended outside the castle by following the natural gradients of the terrain. They formed small groups and the width of the streets did not exceed 2m.
The countryside of the island is characterized by dry stone-walls and scattered small buildings –including country churches. The complexes for agricultural use are called ‘katikies’ (residences) and the older ones date back to the 16th-17th century. Within the cultivating areas there are ‘lini’ (special buildings for wine production built in the 18th-19th century), ‘mitata’ (buildings where they produced and stored cheese products), threshing floors and dovecotes.