The church of Panagia Pantanassa with the characteristic blue dome stands out at the square of Kastro. It was structured in 1787 and initially it was dedicated to Timios Stavros. It is worth noting the gilded wood-carved baroque iconostasis with the splendid icons which belong to the Cretan School.
The fraught of votive offerings icon of Panagia Pantanassa is located here. According to local legend, a chaplain at the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos was dreaming the same dream for many nights. A woman was urging him to go to the southernmost edge of the island and specifically at Gyalista (across the rocky islet of Kalogiros). He was finally convinced, and over there as if by miracle an icon of Theotokos appeared to him which he transferred to the church of Agios Ioannis accompanied by the faithful. As the icon used to “disappear” from the church each night and the next day it would be found at the church of Timios Stavros in Kastro, the Sikinians decided to permanently put it in the church which has its name.
Pantanassa celebrates on the first Sunday of the Great Lent (Sunday of Orthodoxy).