In the past at Neorio there was a lazaretto and around it there were the old tanneries. Between 1970-1973 it got extended and the old pier built between 1856-1857 by designs of G. Metaxas disappeared. In the centre there is still the initial factory, which was built in 1860, by designs made in Europe under the supervision of P. Sapmo. The old foundry is still housed in one of its wings. The first iron steamboat was built here in 1892 and the second one between 1903-1904.Its cranes stand out from afar and the activity in the area is increased. Neorio of Ermoupoli is considered one of the most important shipbuilding and repair units in Greece.