Andros Fassa

This lighthouse was built in 1856 and is the main point of reference marking the strait of Cavo D’ Oro, which separate Andros from Euboea. The fact that clouds are low in the area covering the lighthouse on many occasions caused problems to its operation. It was renovated in 1931 and became automatic in 1992. Until that time it was staffed by five men from the Lighthouse Service. Andreas Embirikos, the famous author from Andros, wrote about this lighthouse: «There, at the farthest edge of the island, in the eye of the north, in the mouth of the west wind, always standing and shining, the far-beaming beacon of ships, above the waves and above fear, it sweeps the horizon every night, with astounding brilliance every night, always sleepless and strong, a guide and savior of souls, the wakeful guard of the seafarers, the great lighthouse of Fassa».

Back to Andros