Several castles, a ghost-village, a late-Byzantine monastery, a capital city built below the ancient acropolis, paved paths surrounded by aromatic shrubs and beaches with colors of all hues between blue and green; these are definitely but few advantages for such a small island. Tilos inspired M. Karagatsis, it was the country of the ancient poet Irina and it still inspires foreign and domestic painters who narrate its landscapes with their work. The art, the history, the archaeology, the paleontology and the recreation in leisurely pelagic pace meet their ideal maidservant in this island.
A ghost-village is located alongside the main road which connects Megalo Horio to Livadia, just before the latter.
During the prewar times, Mikro Horio was not small at all as it had over 750 permanent residents. They were gradually reduced by the migration to Rhodes, Athens, Australia and America and the fact that those who were left behind started moving to Livadia. Out of the 220 houses of the village the walls are preserved but not the roofs and the frames since the resettlers took them along in order to use them again. On the hill’s peak there are the ruins of a medieval tower and if you go up there you will admire the village planning from above. The amphitheatrical formation of the single-room residents and the road network shows that it was organized in a single residential complex most probably by the Knights of Saint John in the 15th century.
Below the abandoned watchtower in a much better condition, i.e. covered, white-washed and operated, the arched church of Agia Zoni is preserved, built in 1861 with an elegant bell tower. In addition, the cemetery church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary is preserved, whose walls were painted in 1787 by the hagiographer Neofytos of Symi.
The hagiographies of Agios Ioannis in Avalas present great interest. Pay attention to the scaly thorax of Agios Dimitrios, like that of the knights, and the unusual pattern of the representation of Paradise in its western wall. In the recent years, a residential complex was restored in the uninhabited village.
There is another abandoned village in the SE part of the island. It was called Gera and it is approximately 3 km away from Livadia. Here the residents of Mikro Horio had their agricultural veterinarian premises, exploiting the fertility of the surrounding cultivated areas and the abundant water of the nearby spring of Despotis.
The regional ingredients of plant or animal origin are so delicious that you can choose various local specialties (savory or sweet) without particular dilemmas.
The best dish is the classic kid in the oven with potatoes. Additionally try ‘giaprakia’ (stuffed vine leaves with minced meat), pork crab, ‘koulousoufades’ and ‘poumpari’ (stuffed intestines of calf or pig, with minced meat, rice, herbs and liver pieces).
“Koulouria” is a kind of local handmade pasta served with sauce or plain with butter and cheese. ‘Tsouvras’ is a tomato soup with rice or bulgur.
From the pastries, ‘xerotigana,’ ‘melekounia’, the pouches with almonds and the eptazyma (seven times leavened) cookies stand out.
Tilos is daily connected to the port of Piraeus via the ships of the Dodecanese line. The trip takes 15 to 17 hours by regular ferry and 11 to 13 hours by speedboat ferry. The island can be reached by other local routes from Rhodes, the Cyclades or Crete.
On the island the municipal transport media connect the villages and the main beaches of the island.
Municipality of Tilos:
+30 22460 44212
+30 22460 44250
+30 22460 44222 & 71111
Health Centre of Megalo Horio:
+30 22460 44210
Health Centre of Livadia:
+30 22460 44219
Citizen Service Center:
+30 22460 44012