It stands out with its tall white-washed enclosure, on the edge of the cliff, NE of Chora. The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi (or Chrysopigi) was built in 1690 and as it appears from the fortification, the battlements and the murder holes, it was a last resort of the Sikinians every time the Castle was under malicious raiders.
It always hosted sororities, it was repaired patiently after each historical adventure and it endured until 1834 when Otto abolished it by royal decree.
The works for its restoration began in 1978 and in 1979 on the day of its celebration it reopened its threshold for all the Christians.
The Monastery remains open for the public from June to September 18.00-20.00.
Information at +30 22860 51263