– Festival of Greek traditional dances. It takes place in September with the participation of dance associations from all over Greece.
– Festival of religious music. This institution began in 2011 and has been established as one of the most significant summertime musical organizations, aiming at high level musical and intellectual events. The culminating point is the Festival of Religious Music in September. It is an important cultural and prestigious institution with the participation of music bands, choirs and orchestras of literary and religious music from Greece and abroad.
– Film festival (International Film Festival of Patmos – IFFP). Aim of this organization is the establishment of an institution that will attract cinematographers from all over the world and will render Patmos a meeting point for producers, directors, actors and film critics of international prestige and their accomplished younger Greek colleagues. http://www.iffp.gr
– Theatre groups: The company “Techni” is a non-profitable cultural company seated in Patmos. It was created in Paris in 1995 and was relocated to Greece in 1997. Its main aim is to promote the art of the theatre. In 1994 Barbara Hoffman settled in Patmos, an island she knew for over forty years, and as a professional actress she started teaching children a new way to act in the theatre. Since 2003, she has been working with Till Sterzenbach. Both actors and directors with significant careers, they present every year theatrical productions with Patmian amateur actors and associates coming from different countries.
EASTER IN PATMOS
On Holy Thursday the wooden platform and the purple carpet are placed at Xanthos square for the ceremony of the Basin. The prior plays the role of Jesus Christ and twelve clergymen play the roles of the students, reenacting Jesus’ highest act of humility: to wash the feet of his students during the Last Supper. The gracious ceremony takes place only in Patmos and Jerusalem. On Holy Friday the epitaphs of Chora meet at the square of Agia Levia and the ecclesiastical hymns complete an intense atmosphere of devotion. The Resurrection in the monastery of Saint John the Theologian with the Holy Fire from Jerusalem and the wooden bells is a unique experience. You can also go to the courtyard of the Content of Evangelismos where they do not make use of microphones or fireworks.
– On 27 July, Agios Panteleimon is celebrated with a feast on Chiliomodi islet.
– On the eve of the Metamorphosis of Christ, there is a celebration in the church of Christ in Kato Kampos (Lower Kampos) on the way to Lampi
– On the day of the Assumption of Virgin Mary, a festival is organized in the Panagia of Geranou, in the same named area, with a traditional feast, food, dancing and singing. On the same day Panagia tis Exoskalas is celebrated and so does the church of Virgin Mary at the square of Pano Kampos (Upper Kampos), where an all-night festival takes place.
– On 24 September it is the celebration of Agia Thekla. The chapel is built on the same named islet facing Agriolivadi. On the eve of the celebration locals and tourists go there with boats to attend the evensong.
– On 7 July the festival of Agios Prokopios takes place in the small church in Giortani, near Meloi.