The first Catholic monastery on the island began its operations during the Venetian rule, in the year 1660, it belonged to the Jesuits, and it was located in the town around the castle. After its destruction by the Turks, the monks built a new one in Xombourgo, which was also abandoned in the middle of the 19th century, when they settled in the monastery of Loutra. The second Catholic monastery belonged to the Franciscan monks, founded in the year 1700, in the middle of a plateau 3 km outside the walls of the castle. After seventy years, they founded the monastery of Saint Anthony of Padua in Tinos town, which, however, was burnt later. The third monastery was the one built in Loutra in order to house nuns from the Ursuline order.